Monday, September 3, 2012

Six Years

Yesterday was our sixth wedding anniversary. I met Nate in the Winter of 2004. We hung out with a lot of the same people at the time. He didn't really talk to me that much and I was really surprised when he asked me out in April 2005. I later found out he liked me for a while, but had a hard time getting the nerve to ask me out.  He actually just asked if I wanted to hang out sometime, so I wasn't sure if it was a date or not. We spent a month going out about once a week before I worked up the courage to ask him what we were doing. We started officially dating in May and we were engaged seven months later. Nine months after that we were married. Ten days after our wedding we moved from Pennsylvania to North Carolina. We bought a house, started new jobs and spent a lot of time dreaming about the future. Three months after that I found out I was pregnant. 

It's crazy to look back and see how fast everything happened. We had three kids in a short amount of time. So many people told me that the first year of marriage is hard, really hard. I've also heard that having kids really puts a strain on people. When I think about the first year, and all the years since then I don't remember it being hard. It wasn't hard. I don't really think that is because I'm such an amazing wife. Let's face it, I'm a bit crazy and not the easiest person in the world to be with. I think the reason is Nate. He works so hard all day and never minds coming home to a messy house. He will happily dive right in to cooking when I haven't planned anything to eat. He gives me nights out when I need them. He views parenting as something we do equally. When we travel he automatically stops at Cracker Barrel, even when there are a zillion other places he would rather eat at. I'm so grateful to have him to spend this life with. He makes my heart very happy. 

Originally I wanted to go away together for the weekend, but it didn't work out. We decided to spend the day at the beach, and had a blast. The weather wasn't too warm, so Dexty was quite happy in the sand. 

 He loved running up the the waves and turning away and letting them chase him.
 Pipes loved it, just loved it.
 Asher spent most of the day playing in the sand.


Happy Anniversary to the man who made all my dreams come true.

3 comments:

  1. a beautiful post, Al...warms my heart...You are both amazing as a couple and as parents... you have blessed us tremendously. the Lord continue to bless you and keep you..and the kids... I'm so glad Dex could enjoy the beach and that he can run well to escape those waves! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWW! Happy belated anniversary you guys! I just love you all and can't wait to see you again whenever that is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe, just maybe, I got a little misty eyed.... Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete